Monday, May 14, 2007

Some thoughts on Motherhood...

I have been reading the book "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. So, of course, that in addition to Mother's Day has made me think a lot about being a mom. Here's what I have learned so far.
I have always been worried that I am not doing enough to make a difference in the world. That all I am able to do right now, because I am a stay at home mom, doesn't reach farther than my neighborhood and friends and family. Through reading this book and doing some of my own reflection I have truly realized that by raising my children in the most righteous circumstances as possible, I am changing the world (a little dramatic, I know, but keep reading). All the mom's out there that are doing their day to day mommy routine the best they can are raising one of Heavenly Father's choicest generations. Thomas S. Monson said, "Occasionally discouragement may darken our pathway; frustration may be a constant companion. In our ears we may hear Satan as he whispers, 'You cannot save the world; your small efforts are meaningless.'" I am so grateful that is not true. Being a mom teaches me so much about love, patience and of course sacrifice. I am so grateful for these lessons, even when I am cleaning my toddler's bathroom accident out of my carpet, yet again. Anyway, this book is a great read and I hope that all you mothers out there remember that whether you are reading the scriptures to your kids, or wiping their noses, you are making a difference. Happy Mother's Life.

2 comments:

Maury said...

great thoughts... I enjoyed it!

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

Jaime. I haven't checked your blog in a while so this is comment may not get read. But I have just started reading this book and I am really enjoying it. I absolutely love every minute of motherhood. I think it is the greatest blessing ever. I love how the book says that mothers are co-creators with God. That is a powerful thought!